Criminal Justice

If you are beaten up by your husband or your common law, and you are able to get to a phone, call the police for help. In the Northwest Territories the emergency number for the police is the first three numbers used in your community followed by 1111. For example, in Tulita the police emergency number is 588-1111.

When called to a family violence incident the RCMP officers are responsible to restore order, protect the victims, and investigate and gather evidence. The police officer will ask you questions about what has taken place and write up a police report. The police will also help you to get medical attention if you need it.

Often in the NWT the police will bring a child protection (social) worker to the home if children are present. (see the child protection link to the left for more information about child protection.)

Other topics covered in this chapter include:

►► Call to the Police for Help (see above)
►► Police Investigation – Will the Police Lay Charges?
►► Your Statement to the Police – audio/videotaped statement
►► Supports are available to you during the Investigation
►► Mandatory Charging Policy
►► Canada’s Criminal Justice System
►► Key People in the Criminal Justice System
►► Steps in the Criminal Justice Process
►► Accused – Goes to Jail or is Released
►► Bail
►► Disclosure
►► First Appearance in Court
►► Why women may not want their partner charged
►► Testifying at the Trial
►► Guilty or Not Guilty? “Beyond a reasonable doubt”
►► Accused is Found Guilty
►► Victim Impact Statement
►► Sentencing the Offender
►► Domestic Violence Treatment Option